Vintage Sideboard Revamp

I went through a serious Danish/ Mid Century modern phase a couple years back. I scoured craigslist hoping to find some incredible treasures that someone didn't want anymore for a great price (aka- had no idea that their grandma’s piece of furniture was an iconic piece of design history). It took some time, but boy did I score! Although my vintage-hunt has slowed, some of the pieces I acquired during that phase are still some of my favourites to this day. And because sometimes you shouldn't save the best for last, here’s my fave.


I found this Danish tulip sideboard on CL for $40. Really, just $40! I later found the EXACT same sideboard on a website for vintage furniture listed at $800. Yup, it’s  a winner. I feel kinda bad that I defaced its’ (teak?) wood surface, but I'm a sucker for all things white, so white it went. After using a power sander to sand the surface down (who am I kidding? The hubs did the sanding), we painted it completely wrong using who knows what kind of paint that required close to 10 coats to prevent some weird orange streaks from bleeding through (was unaware of the magic of PRIMER at this point in my life). In the end though, baby turned out like this:

Please excuse the rando vignette on the sideboard. It was purely temporary and has since changed, but this was the best pic I could find that showed our sideboard in all its glory. And frankly, I’ve got a wiener dog sleeping on my lap, so getting up to take a picture of it now just wasn’t an option.

Comments

  1. A stain blocker paint would have prevented the wood from bleeding through....and requiring all those coats of paint. Kilz is one name brand paint that comes to mind....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! You made my day :)

Popular Posts