Almost there! And a floor plan

We are three weeks into the New Year and the new house, and slowly chipping away at the to do list. I wish I could wave my magic wand and instantly have the entire house decorated and ready to go! Wouldn't that be nice? I am excited to share photos but wanted to wait until the place came together a BIT more, and we are almost there. Backsplash was installed yesterday
, grout tomorrow, roman shades should be arriving soon - so other than final accessorizing, hanging art, and some larger, future projects, we will be mostly settled in very soon.

I would still like to do a version with furniture placement, but here is the main floor floor plan. I can say that so far, this is the perfect amount of space for us. It feels spacious but not cavernous. The open layout is just what we were hoping it would feel like and we are so glad we added the extra bump out in the dining room in order to flip the island 90 degrees to face the living room.

              

The space in the front was originally an open den which we had absolutely no use for. I thought long and hard about what to do with it, and the only thing that just felt right was to put the laundry there (moved it from the right side of the mudroom). First of all, why would I want my laundry in a small(ish) mudroom. Not only is there no space for hampers and and ironing board and drying rack, but it's a MUDroom. And in Winnipeg, where 6 months of the year are in mucky boots or snowy boots that turn to muck, a mudroom really is just that. Do people seem to think it's strange to have the laundry there? A little. But I'm adding cabinetry and features to make it fabulous (and double frosted french doors), and I can tell you that having a REAL full-size laundry room has been awesome so far. I also have my desk in there for now and eventually plan on making a craft area, but that is further down the list.

So far, my only one big regret is not squaring off the corner pantry. Long story short, it wasn't until close to the deadline that I learned that we could really customize the builder's plans and move things majorly around. And had we had more time, I would have somehow figured out how to put that pantry on a 90. It would have made for a smaller pantry and it would have affected our fridge and pantry wall, but I'm sure we could have made it work. I am not devastated by the corner pantry at all - I still love the kitchen, and the space and walk through feature is amazing - I just know IF I were to do it again, it would have been nice to know earlier!

On that same note, we also never knew it was an option add square footage to the plan (in the dining room). We really thought the builders plans were mostly set less minor alterations, and I was really struggling between two plans (a smaller version that had the island layout I wanted and now have, and this plan which I loved but didn't like the island orientation). It wasn't until someone unrelated to our purchase suggested the option that I even knew it was a possibility - and I am so glad I did!

I remember when we started building/planning I googled everywhere trying to find someone else's building experience and found very little - perhaps it's worth doing a post or two on what I learned during the process, if only so I can remember myself if we ever decide to do this again!

Okay, that's all for now. I hope to take some pics and post this weekend, as well as to share the upstairs floor plan and furniture placements!


Comments

Popular Posts